Monday, October 10, 2016

Let's Talk About The Real



We knew that moving overseas would change us. Here is what expat life is really like after the sparkle fades.

The newness has worn off. The realness has set in. We live in Kuwait. We have Kuwait phone numbers. We have a Kuwait bank account. According the government, I am officially a resident of this country. We’ve lived here for 7 weeks and 6 days. It’s been happy, sad, fun, discouraging, amazing, and flat out hard.

Last week I hit the homesick wall, or rather the homesickness hit me- more like disrespectfully slapped me in the face. I found myself completely overwhelmed by all the differences that were overlooked during the “honeymoon” stage. We recently went to the grocery store, like we have done every week since living here, but this time I was discontent because I couldn’t find Cheerios. Yes, yall…not finding a box of cereal made me sad.

I initially felt bad for continuing to throw out, “but in Texas we have” or “why can’t they do it this way?” Then I realized something. I was born and raised in one {awesome} state for 27 years (and AJ, 29). We know 27 (and 29) years worth of doing things and having things one way. Walmart is never out of Cheerios! I absolutely forgive myself for craving Whataburger, or missing the DVR, or wanting Minute Maid lemonade. I don’t blame AJ for missing football, and Texas BBQ, and whiskey. We decided to take a big chance and move overseas. Yes, we made this choice. We promised ourselves that we would put our best foot forward to adapt to our new home, and you know what - I think we have done a pretty good job at transitioning. I think we are handling all the changes like BOSSES!

We definitely feel different living here. Here’s what we’ve learned in 55 days:

·        From AJ: Teaching is Extremely Difficult.
The patience to deal with 25 nine year olds is nothing short of superhuman. They are needy, attention-seeking, inquisitive individuals. I really never knew what Amber dealt with for the last five years. In 6 weeks of school I have made posters, cut birthday cake, fixed ponytails, prepared a classroom for Open House, and sent home progress reports on top of teaching all subjects. I have worked harder in a classroom than I ever did in a fire station. Teachers should undeniably get paid more.  

·        From AJ: How to Support My Wife
Before Kuwait, I was away from her for entire 24/48/72 hour blocks. It required me to be intentional about my time when I was finally off work. Now I see her every day and I take that for granted. I sometimes forget that even though she is a take charge, do it all kind of woman that she still needs my help and support. I forget (because she rarely shows it) that change and new situations make her anxious and that I have to help make her comfortable. I’m learning how to take off my firefighter hat and be a full-time husband.
               
·        From me: How to Better Manage Money
I have always been really good with money for two reasons: 1) I am incredibly cheap. Cheaper than cheap. Never buy anything because I hate to spend money, cheap. AND 2) Because I’ve never had a lot of money to begin with. Working in Kuwait where the currency is three times as strong as the dollar means more $$$ for us. We have more extra income now than we have ever had in our lives, and as a result, I have to be an even better budgeter. It would be so easy to go buck wild and buy all the pretty things in all the fancy Kuwaiti malls, but we didn’t come here to blow money.

·        From me: How to Let Go of “Normal”
Kuwait is the new normal. Not driving is the new normal. Being referred to as “Madam, Ma’am, or Miss” is the new normal. Seeing AJ every day is the new normal. Teaching in the same school with AJ is the new normal. Pita bread instead of tortillas is the new normal. Booking a trip every month is the new normal. I have come to realize that somehow my life abroad has gradually evolved to become my new idea of normal.


  
Whew.


Take a step. Learn. Adjust. Take another step. 



4 comments:

  1. Y'all are doing great!! So proud of you. Yeehaw love my Texas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an accurate account! I thoroughly enjoy your blogs! Hang in there....and let's plan to meet soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are we having ham, turkey, green beans and mash potatoes for Thanksgiving?
    Black Friday shopping in Dubai?
    Christmas celebration in November?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I greatly appreciate your candor! What awesome stories you will have for your kiddos and grands. Continue to embrace your "new normal." You will emerge from this adventure stronger as individuals and as a couple. You are always stronger than you think and God is always with you!!! Go make some more memories Amber Lou and AJ! Praying for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete